The GIGA German Institute of Global and Area Studies/Leibniz-Institut für Globale und Regionale Studien is an independent social -science research institute based in Hamburg. It analyses political, social and economic developments in Africa, Asia, Latin America and the Middle East, and links this knowledge to questions of global significance. It combines region- specific analysis with innovative comparative research on accountability and participation, growth and development, peace and security, and power and ideas. The GIGA seeks to appoint a
Postdoctoral Research Fellow
Applications are invited for a full-time position, with an initial contract of 20 months, preferably starting 1 May 2019. The position is designed for further professional qualification as defined in § 2 WissZeitVG (Academic Fixed-Term Contract Act). The salary is commensurate with TV-AVH/TVöD EG 13.
The successful candidate will
- – be part of the EU Horizon2020 project “Migration Governance and Asylum Crises”, specifically the work package “Comparing Crises” (https://www.giga-hamburg.de/de/project/migra-tion-governance-and-asylum-crises-magyc-work-package-comparing-crises)
- – conduct two rounds of field research in North Africa (with a focus on Egypt, Libya, and Morocco)
- – conduct interviews and participant observation
- – contribute to the development of a comparative framework of analysis for case studies in the Maghreb, Mashreq and the Horn of Africa together with GIGA colleagues
- – submit at least one article to an international peer-reviewed journal
- – write one GIGA Focus
- – you have a PhD in sociology, anthropology, geography, and/or political science
- – you have conducted (qualitative) field work in North Africa before
- – you are fluent in English, and ideally have good knowledge of Arabic and/or French
Part-time options will be considered, if so desired by the successful candidate. Diversity and the reconciliation of work and family life are of great importance to the institute. The GIGA promotes gender equality and actively encourages applications from women. Among equally qualified applicants, women will receive preferential consideration in those areas in which they are underrepresented.
Please fill out the GIGA application form (found at www.giga-hamburg.de/en/vacancies) and send it with your full application (Ref.-No. GIGA-18-13) including relevant supporting documentation (cover letter, CV, credentials/diplomas/certificates, one letter of recommendation, list of publications, one work sample) to:
Gabriele Tetzlaff, GIGA German Institute of Global and Area Studies, Neuer Jungfernstieg 21, 20354 Hamburg, Germany Email: email@example.com (email applications are particularly welcome)
Screening of applications will begin on 13 January 2019.