The Postdoc will work in a sub-project that is embedded in the Institute of Public Administration and Leiden University College. This sub-project will be focused on the analysis of social citizenship and migration from a socialization and a governance perspective. The combination of these perspectives is necessary to understand the interplay between individual beliefs, socialization processes, and the governance of migration-related issues. It will highlight relevant socialization and governance mechanisms across several domains, including the family, education, welfare, media, and commerce at both the local and national level, analyzing how individuals develop their perceptions of social citizenship and their own and others’ roles in society.
- Conduct innovative research within the framework of the programme Social Citizenship and Migration;
- Prepare research grant applications;
- Coordination tasks within the research programme Social Citizenship and Migration;
- Submit research results for publication in academic journals;
- Present papers at international conferences;
- Actively disseminate the research findings;
- Organise and participate in seminars, workshops and conferences of the programme.
- A PhD in public administration, economics, political science, political economy, sociology or another discipline that is relevant for the Institute of Public Administration and Leiden University College;
- Excellent research qualities relevant for the research profile of the Institute of Public Administration and Leiden University College, demonstrated for example by (international) publications. Ideally, the research of the candidate is related to the programme Social Citizenship and Migration;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English and the ability to effectively communicate with external audiences;
- Knowledge of the Dutch language is considered an advantage. If the successful applicant is not fluent in Dutch, he or she will be expected to learn Dutch within a period of approximately two years;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and ability to work constructively in a team;
- Available as of 1 January 2020.
The post-doctoral researcher will be appointed at both the Institute of Public Administration 50%) and at Leiden University College (50%). The Institute of Public Administration and Leiden University College are both part of the Faculty of Governance and Global Affairs.
Terms and conditions
We offer a fixed-term post for the period of four years. Salary range from €3.637,- to €4.978,- gross per month (pay scale 11, in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities).
Submit your online application no later than 15 October 2019 via the blue button in our application system. Please ensure that you upload the following additional documents quoting the vacancy number:
- A cover letter stating your motivation for this position;
- A curriculum vitae including a complete list of publications;
- A publication (or working paper);
- Recent teaching evaluations;
- At this stage, it is not necessary to submit references or recommendation letters.
The selection procedure will take place in October-November 2019.
For more information: here