The National Center of Competence in Research nccr – on the move aims to enhance the understanding of contemporary migration patterns. Transcending disciplines, the NCCR brings together research projects from the social sciences, economics and law. Managed from the University of Neuchâtel, the network comprises eleven Higher Education Institutions in Switzerland. At the University of Neuchâtel we have an open position for
A post-doctoral researcher (50%)
The post-doc researcher will be involved in a research project co-directed by professors Tania Zittoun and Janine Dahinden. This project examines how diverse forms of transnational mobility affect and transform social dynamics and life trajectories, as these can be observed in small localities at the “outskirts” of Europe. The post-doctoral researcher will conduct one of the case-studies (either in Greece, Spain or the Czech Republic or any other Eastern European Country). The start date will be 1 February 2020 (or as agreed upon). The funding is limited to a period of two years. The post-doctoral researcher will also collaborate with the PhD-students involved in the research project Transnational Mobilities in Small Localities.
– PhD in one of the social sciences (preferably social anthropology, sociology, geography, social and/or cultural psychology, migration studies).
– Excellent knowledge of qualitative methodologies.
– Excellent written and oral command of English and of passive French is required. Knowledge of Greek, Czech (or another Eastern Europe Language) and/or Spanish is an asset.
– Interest in conducting a long-term fieldwork in one of the localities under study.- Scientific interest and experience in reflexive migration studies and in the study of life course,boundary making, social dynamics, processes of exclusion and inclusion in the field of transnationalisation, mobility and diversity.
– Interest in interdisciplinary collaborations with other nccr – on the move collaborators in the framework of different NCCR events.
– Regular attendance of events at the University of Neuchâtel, particularly at the MAPS, as well as participation in international scientific networks is required.
The position is based at the University of Neuchâtel. The University of Neuchâtel is an Equal Opportunities Employer. Qualified women, candidates with a migration history or from minorities are encouraged to apply. The salary and working conditions (activity percentage etc.) are in accordancewith the regulations of the Swiss National Science Foundation. The nccr – on the move offers attractive working conditions, including support measures for researchers with childcare duties.
Applications should be submitted before 1 November 2019. Please submit by email a CV, a statement of interest, a list of publications and one article of relevance. Job interviews will take place in Neuchâtel on 20 November 2019. For additional information about the position, please contact: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org